What to Watch?
How many times have you sat down to watch something, and you can't seem to find anything worth watching? Do you spend as much time scrolling through Netflix, as you actually spend watching what you choose? I am guilty of this time and again. And I am all the time asking my friends and family, "what are you guys watching?". So I decided to share a T.V. show I recently discovered with you. This show may be way outside of your viewing comfort zone. But I think if you give it a chance, you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was!
The show is called "Shtisel" and is currently streaming on Netflix. It is a fictional series about a Hasidic Jewish family living in Jerusalem. You learn the complexities of family and religious life for these devout people. You are introduced to the main character Akiva. He is 27 years old and still is unmarried and living at home with his father. You go with Akiva on a journey to find love and a place in the world. His father and siblings are also introduced and you share in their experiences and the ups and downs of the religious life. The character development is amazing, and I was sucked in after just one episode. You want so badly for them to find the happiness they seek. As a religiously devout person myself, I could relate to some of their struggles and difficulties. They are trying to live by rules and values that seem outdated in a modern society. Another thing I love about this series is it's lack of vulgarity and immorality. Part of the reason I take so long to choose something to watch is because it's so difficult to find shows that adhere to moral values. This show upholds the moral values of the people it portrays.
I was absolutely captivated by these characters and their unique way of life. After watching the series, which sadly has only two seasons, I had so many questions and curiosities about the Hasidic people. I researched and found a few answers, but what I need now is a Jewish connection to appease my curiosity and further my understanding!
I was absolutely captivated by these characters and their unique way of life. After watching the series, which sadly has only two seasons, I had so many questions and curiosities about the Hasidic people. I researched and found a few answers, but what I need now is a Jewish connection to appease my curiosity and further my understanding!
It is produced by Israeli TV and is in Hebrew, so you have to read English subtitles. This may seem like a deterrent at first, but I am confident you will quickly adjust to this minor inconvenience. I hope you will laugh, cry, and grow with the Shtisel family as I did. And maybe for the next month or two, you will have Hebrew phrases floating around in your head like I do. Shalom, Shalom!
I watched the series as well and found the same to be true for me. I could hardly stop watching long enough to prepare food, go to bed at a decent hour or generally be a functional person. The religion is very interesting as well as the culture. The main character, Akiva, illicits so much emotion from the audience! I found myself interacting with him from my couch- asking him questions, giving him advice, extending my sympathies- the show is very engaging!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you also enjoyed Shitsel! Have you found any others shows like it?
ReplyDelete