Green Smoothie Anyone?




Eating healthy is a daily struggle for me.  I know I should eat better.  I know I should eat less sugar.  I know getting more fruits and vegetables in my diet is important.  And yet, it's still something I battle everyday.  A few years ago I found out that I have an autoimmune liver condition.  I know, I know, everyone has an autoimmune condition.  Let me tell you, as someone who has lived a pretty healthy life, it came as a shock.  I don't drink alcohol, I've never used recreational drugs, I've hardly ever been sick.  It's scary to feel like your health is out of your hands.  So I decided I needed to do something proactive, more than just taking the new medication I require three times daily to stay living.  I talked with some friends and family and researched some online.  I decided one thing I can do pretty easily is make green smoothies for breakfast every day.  At first I tried to be fancy and added a bunch of different ingredients.  It got overwhelming and expensive.  I even stopped doing it for a while.  Recently I have wanted to get back to feeling better.  So my husband suggested getting back to green smoothies.  This time I took a different approach.  I am keeping the ingredients simple, so it's not so expensive or time consuming to keep them all on hand.  Each morning I throw all the ingredients in my blender and voila I have a quick and healthy breakfast.  



My Green Smoothie Recipe:

2 cups almond milk (I use unsweetened vanilla)
A few ice cubes
About 1 cup of frozen fruit (My favorite is frozen strawberries, peaches, pineapple, and mangoes)
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 Banana
About 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
2-3 hand fulls of spinach
Blend it up, and enjoy

This recipe makes two servings, so my husband and I each have one! We invested in a Blendtec blender a few years ago.  It does a great job blending everything and making it smooth.  I also love that it is easy to clean!  I run some warm water in the blender, add a little dish soap, push the pulse button a few times, and it's clean and ready to go again tomorrow!  

What are your favorite green smoothie recipes?

Comments

  1. Great recipe!
    What brand of protein power do you use?
    If we really need fuel, sometimes we'll add a half a cup of cooked oatmeal to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use equate whey protein powder. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that on a day when I know I need a little extra energy.

      Delete
  2. I am not a fan of adding anything processed to the smoothie. Greens of different kinds, frozen greens are sometimes better than fresh, which really aren't, are my base with fresh or frozen fruit. Banannas, peel and all, can be added for sweetness and fiber. Darker skins are sweeter. Wash the banannas well if you add skins. Some greens like broccoli sprouts need 30 seconds in 180 degree water to release the anticancerous properties. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know you can eat banana peels! How interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment